Friday, May 13, 2011

Easter in Norway

My own hand laid the foundations of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens; when I summon them, they all stand up together.  Isaiah 48:13 (NIV)

The long 10-hour drives each day were a small price to pay for the treat in store for us. Every twist and turn yielded the most beautiful landscapes of snow covered mountains, grand water falls to small trickles along the roadside, fast rapids and slow moving streams.  And then there was one of the most beautiful sites I will never forget right outside of the city of Bergen – where the lake’s waters were perfectly still revealing a perfect reflection of the view surrounding it.  I couldn’t help but think of Psalm 23’s The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside the still waters…  

Below are the pictures. They speak for themselves and I will try to identify areas as best I can with a little help from my sweet husband – who remembers everything!  I hope you enjoy the views.  We have been fortunate to travel to different areas of Europe.  This is one I would very much like to return to in the future. 

First I am posting a map to give you an idea of where we traveled to. See Karlstad, Sweden first.


  

Snowy wilderness in Buskerud area

  MåbØvatnet River


Storegjieltunnelen


Entering the tunnel above you wind around as seen in this picture.

Hardangerfjord (on the ferry)

Salsas where we had dinner in Bergen

Bryggen (old town section-on the left - that survived the many fires)
Still Bergen...

Bryggen

Vågen (Marina in Bergen)

Scandic Hotel in Bergen where we stayed (wouldn't recommend it).

Lake near Vossavangen    (my favorite - a perfect reflection)

Large ice chunk crashing down the waterfall near Hylland

Aurland (where we had lunch) - the Aurlandsfjorden

On the Manheller-Fodnes Ferry across the Sognefjorden (the largest fjord in the world

Hella-Dragsvik Ferry across an arm of the Sognefjorden

Important signs to know on the ferry…

This is near HØlen

Church on the island of KvamsØy

Near Bergheim (How would you like this in your backyard?) 

 Lote-Anda Ferry on the Nordfjord - Beautiful sunset.

Our car is first in line on the Solavågen-FestØya Ferry – this is on the Norwegian Sea.

Ålesund where we spent the second night.  This is part of our suite. 
We had a total waterview!

View from our balcony.  We even saw a couple of cruise ships come and go.

Harbor in Ålesund


Ålesund is known for it’s distinctive architecture and colorful buildings. 
Most of these were built soon after the great fire of 1903.

  
Notice the chunk of ice down the waterfall from one picture to the next. 
It made a loud thunderous noise as it crashed agains the rocks. 
This is near the town of Åndalsnes.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures! 






No comments:

Post a Comment